Friday, July 30, 2010
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
(from the Penguin Classics Introduction to Pascal’s Pensées)
Monday, July 26, 2010
- A4 jotter for daily writing: plenty of empty space to squander and not feel 'precious' (the 3-pages a day regime if nothing else)
- dedicated A4 notebooks for specific projects or periods of time
- little notebooks for quick writing, stuffed in the pocket, a train journey, off the cuff
- lever-arch files for anthologizing articles
- Moleskine A5s for the school terms - good size & compromise
- cheap jotters/ the old school exercise books - for economy and space - it was stupid in Rome to lug a thick volume around in my bag everyday
- orihons, folded papers, special formats for asemic writings
- movement between and across the notebooks: by means of xeroxing, scanning, cutting and pasting
- a page is not 'done' - it can be added to, excised, reworked
- blank pages are not a crime
- projects and notebooks can be left 'fallow' and reopened later
Jan 26 1840 : No definition of poetry is adequate unless it be poetry itself. The poet does not need to see how meadows are something else than earth, grass, and water, but how they are thus much ...
... The poem is drawn out from under the feet of the poet, his whole weight has rested on this ground.
Its eccentric and unexplored orbit embraces the system.
(from The Journal 1837-1861, Thoreau)
I was reading this prior to leaving for Rome & making notes. Now's the time to go back through - I'll post some of the more striking entries. (Promises, promises ...).
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Thursday, July 08, 2010
Monday, July 05, 2010
Sunday, July 04, 2010
What else to do with the past week's work but collect it into a book (or books).
So ... The Barcode Variations vols. I, II & III - and I'm assembling them in reverse order.
They'll go together as THE BARCODEX (neat, huh?).
If you'd like a copy or set let me know.
As I'm doing the scanning & arranging there's Silent Alarm by Bloc Party on the stereo. New to me - although I gather it's won awards and has been played to death on BBC radio. Who cares? It's just the music for summer holidays. And this is a catchy one ... (despite the predictably cliche-ridden video ...).
Saturday, July 03, 2010
Friday, July 02, 2010
Thursday, July 01, 2010
Then ... Monday evening ... . . . Dweezil Zappa at the Bozar . A really impressive performance - two hour...