Thursday, May 25, 2006

Just at this moment of the world

i)

“This is the morning, after the dispersion, and the work of the morning is methodology: how to use oneself, and on what. That is my profession. I am an archaeologist of morning.”

(‘The Present is Prologue’, Charles Olson)

ii)

“All memorable events, I should say, transpire in morning time and in a morning atmosphere. The Vedas say, "All intelligences awake with the morning." Poetry and art, and the fairest and most memorable of the actions of men, date from such an hour. All poets and heroes, like Memnon, are the children of Aurora, and emit their music at sunrise. To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning.”

(‘Where I lived, and what I lived for”, ‘Walden’, Thoreau)

iii)

“Be awake mornings. See light spread across the lawn”

(‘Crystal’, Ted Berrigan)

iv)

“How will you go about finding that thing the nature of which is totally unknown to you?”

(Greek sophist Meno, cited by Rebecca Solnitt in ‘A Field Guide to Getting Lost’)

v)

“I know – no one’s going to show me everything”

(‘Hejira’, Joni Mitchell)


Walking, reading, listening.

No comments:

April Fool?