Wednesday, November 11, 2009


A day off here and so we go into town to nose around. I find myself upstairs in the children's section of Tropismes in amongst the bande dessines (there's an 'e' acute needed there). I'm following a hunch that this is where some interesting crossovers are happening between word and image - going into much more interesting territory than the ubiquitous Tintin et al.

And I strike lucky - Rebekka Baumann's Lemon Ink. Or, as she seems to prefer lower case: rebekka baumann's lemon ink.

What is it exactly? Part sketchbook, part day-in-the-life of the artist, part poem, part discursion (i.e. a discussion as excursion) upon the idea of lemon yellow. Her use of papers, positive & negative space, sense of line and omission, traced and retraced images ... wow! I had to buy it.

The images here are taken from her site: http://www.rebekkabaumann.com/

Highly recommended.

No comments:

April Fool?