Sunday, May 13, 2012

sunshine


°

A typical Sunday routine of going to the one supermarket in the area that's open (yoghurt, vegetables, fruit, cheese ...). Not a big shop but useful.

I'm two back in the queue and there's obviously a bloke with simply a loaf of bread standing behind me. So I do the decent thing & say he can go ahead of me. This prompts the man in front of me to make the same gracious gesture and so Mr Loaf of Bread is now propelled to the cash till, pays, and turns and thanks each of us in turn. Myself and the other man exchange words, each bathing in the glow of our little bit of do-gooding.

Then, as I'm packing my carrier bags, a little old lady asks the cashier if she can buy a bunch of flowers - she's not in the queue and so is told to wait. "Don't worry" she says "they're irresistible and in any case my children aren't around these days to offer me flowers". The man who is now behind me leans forward and tells the cashier to include the flowers on his bill. The little old lady says she doesn't understand. The man explains: "your children aren't here to give you these flowers; my mother's living too far away for me to give her flowers today. So, why don't I give you these flowers - that's how it works!" The little old lady reaches up and embraces him (he's rather tall and large - in a nice way, though).


No comments:

April Fool?