Saturday, April 26, 2008

I'm sorry ... very sorry ...



... to hear that Humphrey Lyttelton has died. I can't remember with any great accuracy the first programme I heard of 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' - maybe 1978, waiting in the car ready to drive down to Spain? It was funny then and it has continued to be.*

I will admit that my teaching style - such as it is - owes a lot to Humph. To listen to him as Chairman was to receive an education in timing, delivery, the calculated understatement, the mocking imitation of fashionable jargon. Dazzling.

I can only assume this spells the end for the show. Willy Rushton could be replaced as a panellist - but Humph as Chairman?

So it's a sad day. They'll be mourning in Mornington Crescent.

_______________________________

* correction: I think it got funnier over the years. A rarity in comedy!

No comments:

April Fool?