Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"By that, I mean ‘0 to 9: The Complete Magazine’ is a book only in the sense that a book serves as portal. No, it would be more accurate to call it a point, a foci to move from – someway to mark a horizon outwards. The book as compass."

This coming from the Blog 'For The Birds' (http://imforthebirds.blogspot.com/2009/02/0-to-9-complete-magazine-1967-1969.html).

That chimes well with what I'm thinking about at the moment in terms of the status of the actual text, what a volume of poems is - or could be.

A movement through, a point of access, a bringing together with a view to sending the reader away ...

And is this - to go back to an old theme - what marks a key difference between poetries (U.S./U.K., experimental/traditional, etc.) . in other words how the very book is conceived? I'm thinking about Robert Duncan's and Jack Spicer's individual volumes, early Raworths, Iain Sinclairs ... . And that the shift into official publishing is - as such - a betrayal, a dilution? (And I see how the LRB are running an offer on a deluxe edition of the new Sinclair - there's an irony here?).

I'm trying to find something on Spicer's refusal of normal publication but can't put my finger on it.

Later I'll try to put up a post on a John Godfrey poem 'Soothe'.

So far this morning I'm just pottering about. Nothing wrong in that.

It seems my crystal ball was not so grubby ... ... resisting the temptation to say "told you so".