Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A dream the other night: I'm in a classroom teaching Derrida to students and drawing diagrams on the board in chalk. I'm explaining his theory of 'let' in tennis in terms of the clinamen. How the ball hits the net and falls on one or other side or springs out of the court. I'm astonished that no one has focused on this aspect of his work. It also occurs to me (still within the dream) how Derrida must find Wimbledon fascinating.

*

" Can I have the two mores that are left?"

(E. asking if she can eat the remaining Chipitos in the bowl)

*

Currently reading: You Are Not A Gadget (Jaron Lanier), Letters & Collected Poems (Dylan Thomas), bits of HERmione and Asphodel (H.D.).

*

Sold one drawing - the skull:face torso to the left - and three copies of apri'll.

*

The package containing a volume of Heidegger sent on from the U.K. has still to arrive - it's now three weeks or more. I'm starting to think that this is part of the point: belatedness ...

*

Each day I change the labels on The Index (few people notice, I suspect). On Sunday I talked to a worried visitor - disturbed by the names Brian ... Keith ... Charlie ... Bill ... Mick. She obviously assumes it is some kind of memorial. "The Stones?" I suggest.

*

E. asks to hear 'Bogus Pomp' as we're driving to her piano lesson and keeps pointing out the 'good bits' (her ear is spot on). One of my daughters appreciates Zappa! Ah!

*

Pierre or The Ambiguities, Herman Melville.










2 comments:

Anne Gorrick said...

What a terrific dream! You should send it over to my poet friend Lynn Behrendt over at the Annandale Dream Gazette...

http://www.annandaledreamgazetteonline.blogspot.com/

belgianwaffle said...

Thanks for your Comment - I'll follow up that link.

Needless to say, I don't teach Derrida to HS students, don't use chalk anymore (pity, really), and - to my knowledge - Derrida does not mention tennis in any of his works. However, my Unconscious knows otherwise ...

April Fool?