Saturday, May 27, 2006

How many hours in the day?

I see Jonathan Mayhew - aka Bemsha Swing - is asking for questions for his students concerning their approach to a text. I'd approach it from a slightly different angle: what to read, when to read it, how to read it?

For example, I am currently reading Emily Dickinson - I've arrived at poem 300 or thereabouts. Only another 1,400 to go! Simultaneously, I am reading Feldman's essays, the new Guston book, poems by Graham Foust & Devin Johnston... This is before taking into consideration magazines such as The Wire, the LRB, Chicago Review. Then there's the Blogs ... And what about contextual reading - the Whitehead, for instance? And whatever you just pick up by chance - Rebecca Solnit's new volume... The list goes on. And that's just the reading - the films, the exhibitions?

Mondays to Fridays there's the day job. Weekends there's things to do 'en famille'. Each day I am committed to a daily walk. And now I'm keeping up a Blog.

The 'window' for reading shrinks. There, that's something for students to think about - I know I didn't.

No comments:

April Fool?