Sunday, May 28, 2006

The sun is out & cooking with The Books


Yes, believe it or not. It may even be May.

Anyone following a few of the threads of this Blog will know why I am excited by this CD. Yesterday, it was the next CD behind the Boards of Canada discs I was looking through at the local mediatheque. Another example of while looking for something else, you find what you're really looking for.

I've only had a chance to listen to track one "a little longing goes away" but I already scent something interesting is going on. The printing of the CD booklet - a little volume in itself - ; those terrific webs; the predilection for lower case; the titles - "smells like content", "An Animated Description of Mr. Maps" - ; the (I assume) collage-derived lyrics ... As for the music, the collaging of voice in track one takes my discussion of Berrigan's Sonnets into a further dimension of recorded sound.

Their website is worth a look - http://www.thebooksmusic.com/ - & I wouldn't turn my nose up at the T-shirts or the oven gloves (yes - oven gloves). A sly tribute to Frank Zappa (see the back of 'Them or Us')? Or they just like food? Probably.

And if this wasn't enough, here's The Books in an interview:

"Voice is the most sonically heavy sound that people can make use of. It is so complex as a sound in itself, and at the same time it is capable of carrying literary meaning and personal identity. Human ears evolved around using it and understanding it, so it is a powerful tool in music. Everything is so strange and wonderful when you listen carefully, it is hard to believe that ‘commonplace’ really exists."

Belgianwaffle's CD of the week. My ears are hungry for more.

No comments:

April Fool?