Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"I know the alphabet. Maybe I could become a writer".



Strange how things coincide ...

"Just look at the sky. Selby's twentieth century, don't explain, places bets (words) here and here and here ...". (A Sentimental Journey, Kit Robinson)

which sends me on to Hubert Selby (just a name to me up until now) who - I discover - wrote a short story 'The Queen is Dead' the title of which Morrisey took for The Smiths well-known album.

Just ordered Last Exit to Brooklyn which is presumably one of those books I really should have read.

2 comments:

walrus said...

I had Last Exit to Brooklyn on my shelves for years, but some books resist one's entreaties to be let in and that was one of them . . .

Still, I'm indebted to you for persuading me -- your enthusiasm persuaded me -- to buy Rodefer's Call It Thought. He is as fun to read as James Tate or Ashbery.

W

belgianwaffle said...

re. Last Exit ... my copy is on the way. No idea whether it'll live up to expectations.

re. Rodefer ... I'd say even more fun than Ashbery? The comparison most people seem to draw is with O'Hara. Tate, though, is an unknown to me.

I'm looking at early P. Gizzi - dunno why but at certain times of the year 'Periplum' pops up again. This time I'm going to try and crack quite why these poems work. (And, having been looking at Spicer, I suspect I'll hear all sorts of echoes I'd missed before).

Two weeks of holiday stretch before me - Blogging should enjoy a minor renaissance ...

Cheers

The C.

April Fool?