Tuesday, April 07, 2009



The first post from the new Belgianwaffle HQ.

Today: Beat movement & affiliates, Iain Sinclair volumes, interesting collections of essays (Rebecca Solnit etc.), occult/hermetica/& other strange stuff, big books on Art, late 19th/early 20thC European Modernism in translation, English Romanticism, quite a lot of books I don't quite know where to put yet, plus ... CDs (Miles, Ornette, Thelonious, Soft Machine, & lots I haven't really listened to & now might) ...

Yesterday: 20thC US & UK Modernism, New York poets & affiliates, '60s onwards interesting UK poetries, Rilke & Emily Dickinson.

The routine: take books off shelf, dust them from the accumulated brick dust, carry them box by box upstairs, shelve them afresh. Every now and then build another Billy from Ikea (my handyman skills are just about up to this challenge).

I'd love to have a Walter Benjamin leisurely fondle but it all has to be done in haste - tomorrow I want to see the Motherwell exhibition at la Louviere.

*

Yesterday morning was spent in Ikea (purchasing the above mentioned Billys etc.) and then on to lighting shops. In a funny way it felt almost exhilirating - kind of 'normal person' behaviour & the sort of thing I usually wince at. Even the helpful assistant seemed to believe I knew what I was talking about. 

Getting back into the car & slinging my bag onto the passenger seat I had a momentary sensation of being David Hemmings in 'Blow Up'. Something to do with the sunlight, the busy-ness of going on errands, the unusual sense of being out & about on my own. (Needless to say, I do not have i) the car, ii) the looks, iii) the script ... and the outer fringes of Brussels sure ain't the swinging London of the 60s. But one can dream ...). 

No comments:

April Fool?