Monday, February 07, 2011


... not a great watcher of television I did chance upon twenty minutes of an interview with Steve Wright on 'Information TV' (or something like that) just before going to collect the girls this afternoon.

If I had to nominate a favourite comedian, Steve Wright would be up in the top ... three ... two ... one (?) making a mockery of those people who say Brits don't 'get' American humour. Reason: it depends whether it's funny or not. Wright hits the funny bone time after time.

Example a) Hitchhiking he sees a hearse drive by. Then thinks he's not going that far ...

Example b) During a power cut he uses his camera's flash. It takes 60 shots of the kitchen to make a sandwich.

Example c) What if birds find feathers ticklish?

As with all great comedians, it's not just what he says but how he says it - a kind of bemused monotone delivery suggesting he's not so much telling jokes as reporting on what he finds.

Pure poetry.

*

Copies of sighlens and the much delayed onception went out today.








3 comments:

Geofhuth said...

Jonathan,

Unsurprisingly, Wright is my favorite comedian, and clearly a poet. He somehow grew out of the one-liner tradition of Henny Youngman (not *too* funny: "Take my wife...please"), but made something shimmeringly different and interesting and funny.

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a poem about everything."

He was right.

Wright?

Geof

Unknown said...

Hello Jonathan,

I'm new to the blog world, and I found your blog while surfing around for some good ones to read.

This post of yours gave me something to laugh about. So I've decided to follow.

Pleased to meet you.

Urja

Unknown said...

Oops... just realized that your blog doesn't allow following.

April Fool?