Friday, August 05, 2011

Biro marks in my copy of A Writer's Diary (Woolf)

Our tragedy has been the squashing of a caterpillar (12)

°

Even the muscles of my right hand feel as I imagine a servant's hand to feel (17)

°

a brain still running along the railway lines (18)

°

... I should like to come back, after a year or two, and find that the collection had sorted itself and refined itself and coalesced, as such deposits so mysteriously do, into a mould, transparent enough to reflect the light of our life, and yet steady, tranquil compounds with the aloofness of a work of art ... (23)

°

a strip of pavement over an abyss (37)

°

Where is my paper knife? I must cut Lord Byron (53)

°

A change of house makes me oscillate for days. And that's life; that's wholesome. (69)

°

More and more do I repeat my own version of Montaigne - 'it's life that matters'. (77)

°

The actual writing being now like a sweep of a brush. (79)

°

Never mind. Arrange whatever pieces come your way. (85)

°

partly to glut my itch ('glut' an 'itch'!) for writing. (86)

°

No comments:

April Fool?