Sunday, April 22, 2012


In that vague state of consciousness between sleep and waking I heard one of these variations on the radio early this morning. Suddenly I realised I had to hear the entire work - thinking, as I have been, of variations (poetic in particular).

After lunch I drove into town knowing the Bozar would be open on a Sunday and just might have a version (Brendel seeming to be highly regarded).

Fruitless attempts to find a parking space above ground meant I had to give in and go into the below ground car park near the Gare Centrale. Absurdly expensive for even half an hour (remind me next time).

Anyway, no Brendel or other recognisable (to my limited knowledge) performers but there are several copies of Paul Lewis' recording on Harmonia Mundi. I dither and then think well, why not? A good comparison if little else.

So much for my knowledge of the current star performers. Back home and just three minutes in to this performance and you just know it's good. Better than good - terrific. And it just so happens he studied with the Great Alfred.

I'm now thinking of getting hold of his complete Beethoven Concertos and then heading for the Sonatas. (A good year's worth of listening).

Back to the Diabellis: at just over thirty, I intend to listen to one a day for the next month in an attempt to really get a feel for each variation. You can do the same if you like.

An exercise in slow listening.

I think it will be worth it.

No comments:

April Fool?