Thursday, July 27, 2006

Today I resume reading Moby Dick

"Bungle away at it then, and bring it to me (turns to go). Oh, Life! Here I am, proud as Greek god, and yet standing debtor to this blockhead for a bone to stand on! Cursed be that mortal inter-indebtedness which will not do away with ledgers. I would be free as air; and I'm down in the whole world's books. I am so rich, I could have given bid for bid with the wealthiest Praetorians at the auction of the Roman empire (which was the world's); and yet I owe for the flesh in the tongue I brag with. By heavens! I'll get a crucible, and into it, and dissolve myself down to one small, compendious vertebra. So." (Chapter CVIII, 'Ahab and the Carpenter', Moby Dick)

Thus Ahab.

Good, isn't it?

Better - breathtaking.

1 comment:

Diana Marie Delgado said...

By the way, maddest props on the reading of Moby Dick, tried it one summer and realized it felt like I had taken on a much needed home improvement project, then realized the commitment was so big (not to say unworthy), decided to put it away.

I'm still not ready for it.

April Fool?