Saturday, May 31, 2008

miles and miles ahead



How had this one slipped by me until now?

One of the great pleasures in life has to be suddenly discovering a new book or a new album and thinking how essential it is while knowing you've managed so far without it and yet - now - how could you do without it? The world has changed while you weren't looking. The shadows fall differently. There's a new melody to your days.

I'm typing this as track 4 - 'My Ship' - plays. About as ravishing a solo I think I've heard Miles Davis play. (Am I right in saying he's using a flugelhorn - giving that soft focus quality?).

Who cares - it sounds great. Walrus, if you're reading, I owe you big time for this one!

3 comments:

walrus said...

Wow. That really does my heart good. It's one of those albums that just gets inside you. And yes, a flugelhorn. It's regarded as a masterpiece by Miles fans, but seems to have been overshadowed by Kind of Blue, etc. I think perhaps the awful punning title hasn't helped. And there were issues around the cover art. But the music -- oh, sublime!

A greatly cheered,
Walrus

PS Thanks for kind words regarding previous post.

belgianwaffle said...

'Filles de Kilimanjaro' is also damn good. However, I realise that I know certain tracks - they are on the 'In A Silent Way' Complete Sessions box set I got out a while ago from the mediatheque.

I agree: the cover art for 'Miles Ahead' leaves a lot to be desired.

Having a Miles weekend here. (I also got out 'E.S.P.' & 'On The Corner').

By the way - I was going to do a special Walrus Miles sonnet (using only track titles) - then I see someone's had exactly that idea in the liner for 'E.S.P.' - ESP indeed!

cheers

The C.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店經紀,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店工作,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
專業酒店經紀,
合法酒店經紀,
酒店暑假打工,
酒店寒假打工,
酒店經紀人,
菲梵酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,
禮服酒店上班,
酒店小姐兼職,
便服酒店工作,
酒店打工經紀,
制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,

,酒店,