1. my attempts to glorify your name in verse have failed to enhance their subject matter.
2. the speaker elaborates a chiastic conceit.
3. weep while in possession of; weep with desire to possess.
4. the stars comment on and guide human life but in ways that are indiscernible to us.
5. flower syrups and conserves enclosed in a jar or a box.
6. it is implied that the speaker’s brow is wrinkled.
7. the notebook is blank in the speaker’s memory.
8. pluck, pull out, extract with a slightly comic tone.
9. only a comma between ‘selfe’ and ‘but’.
10. the poet turns his gaze from human artefacts to viewing land and sea as greedy competitors.
11. the line is rather obscure: probably.
12. the speaker sees himself as a small boat.
13. the acknowledged characteristic of the marigold.
14. from the heart, a source of authentic pleasure.