Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Here's something. Reading Peter Gizzi's volume Some Values of Landscape and Weather I pause on the title of the first poem in the opening series A History of the Lyric. I'd always assumed 'Objects in mirror are closer than they appear' was lifted from a work on optics (school textbook, Isaac Newton, some such source). How wrong can I be? As any U.S. citizen and car driver would know - this is a phrase required by law to be found on side mirrors. Doh! My reading feels not so much depleted as enhanced by such a discovery - although there's an uneasy sensation of how many other such citations I'm missing or misattributing.

o

Spring and All arrives today (finally). I love the plain blue cover and what I assume is a facsimile printing (erratic quotation marks etc.). To hold it in the hand as a single volume is a real pleasure.

o

Reading Philip K. Dick with renewed interest. That he once shared a house with Robert Duncan makes sense - his massive Exegesis in some ways an equivalent to The H.D. Book? Both cat lovers, too.

No comments:

April Fool?