Tuesday, November 08, 2011

So O.K. I've given in. It just seemed too good an opportunity with a colleague travelling to the States over the break and the current dollar to euro conversion rate and ... well, it's always easy to find justifications for what we want to justify. To cut a long story short I've invested in an iPad (this post being the first attempt at using the clicky keyboard).

Already downloaded are a nifty television app which seems to allow access to U.K. television; The Guardian's free two month trial; the complete stories of Lydia Davis (by way of seeing how I might cope with reading a book on screen); as well as Pages and Drop Box (because everyone seems to feel these are essential).

However I waited until the girls came home before unboxing the thing. Much as I loathe to admit it, Apple packages its products so damn well. As we lifted the cover off and saw the slim little tablet it was hard not to feel a thrill. Commodity fetishism or some kind of techno-epiphany - call it what you will but the girls' astonishment was real and tangible. Maybe one of those moments they'll look back on as I remember our first colour television or my Dad's new car.

Will it mean more regular posting? Well, that remains to be seen.

No comments:

April Fool?