Sunday, March 18, 2012

To Reading & other things


°
Rereading essays in my battered copy of Benjamin's Illuminations & find this old book mark. Eminently reproducible - by definition, that's what train tickets have to be - yet somehow unique & rather poignant. 'To Reading', 'Outward' & 'Return' - of how many journeys may this be said? & which of my many 'Is' was traveling that day, a second day of May?

°


°
The Popul Vuh music to Nosferatu playing as I type. I happened upon the 5 CD tribute to Florian Fricke in the Mediatheque. A soundtrack not simply to the film but my life circa 1983-86. Listening again and again to the second track which (as I recall) accompanied the sailing boat gliding into the harbour ...

°



°

According to K. the blossom began yesterday. I hadn't noticed. I am extremely unobservant in lots of ways.

For four years, my Dad would drop me off at the station to go up to London to school. He'd always talk about the change of year - that sudden sense of Winter turning into Spring, the dawn chorus, lighter mornings. I barely paid attention to it - or him - wrapped up in my own little world of essays, exams, teenage nags & anxieties.

Well, this Spring will happen without him. But I did take the trouble this morning to go out and look at the buds.

°


°

L. insists I give her an acknowledgement for this photo: one of her latest production line of cupcakes. Sunday afternoon is now devoted to baking & the kitchen off limits. It seems she has waiting lists at school & has started to customize each cake with an individual pink monogram.

My very own Fairy Baker.

1 comment:

Vivian said...

cupcake looks tasty

April Fool?