Saturday, March 19, 2016

There was a good tribute to Peter Maxwell Davies on Radio 3 at lunchtime which sent me scurrying upstairs to locate the one ... two ... even three CDs I was more or less sure I had shelved somewhere or other.

Indeed.

One is an anthology of sorts with the Radio 3 Sunday Morning 'jingle' I remember waking up to back in the lonely & miserable Bristol Sundays. Yet for some reason I had never persisted sufficiently to hear a later track - Farewell to Stromness. I've listened to various versions on YouTube thinking to direct you accordingly but not one has the resonance of the CD version. You'll just have to find one for yourself. It's a disarmingly simple piece & shouldn't be criticised for that. PMD understood the power of folk melodies & the political weight such music can carry.

Another reevaluation underway.

1 comment:

Eleanor Crook Sculpture said...

Thanks for turning my thoughts towards Kurtag. Watching Brussels on the news this lunchtime 22nd and hoping you are ok. Keep those well tuned eyes open. Cheers, Ultima Thule.

April Fool?