Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Pipped at the post ...

Synchronicity or what? No sooner do I start sharpening my keyboard in anticipation of an entry on Raworth & Comedy, than I see this link on Ron Silliman’s Blog : http://davidcaddy.blogspot.com/2008/03/letter-11.html . David Caddy is hitting all the right targets so I don’t need to launch a long post. Tonight I’ll aim for brevity and postpone the Hancock-Raworth post until later. By way of thoughts on Caddy's post:

1. The number of Goon Shows which were based upon pastiche, parody and blatant appropriation. Clearly, Milligan used – and assumed – references, allusions, quotations from a shared pool of films, texts and songs. Furthermore, the power of radio at that period to hold an audience. Transferring to British poetry of the 50s and 60s what – who – would be the equivalents?

2. I love the ‘aural space’ of The Goon Shows. As radio shows they succeed to the extent that you do not see. Language and sound create a world operating on parallel logics. A sequence such as this from The Great String Robberies:

Scot No.1:
You see that piece of string on the table?

Seagoon:
Yes. What's that space in the middle?

Scot No.1:
That's the piece that's missing.

Seagoon:
So! So that's what a piece of missing string looks like, eh? Where's it gone? Ah! [laughs] But wait... can't you see, you, you poor Scottish fool!

Scot No.1:
[Gnashing teeth sounds]

Seagoon:
It's all, it's all a practical joke!

Scot No.1:
[Gnashing teeth sounds]

Seagoon:
Someone's cut that string in the center, pulled the two pieces in opposite directions, giving the impression that a piece had been removed from the middle.

Scot No.1:
Hairy gringlers, he's right! Och, it's true! If you put these two pieces together, the gap disappears!

Scot No.2:
Aye, but did you notice when you did that, the two outside ends got shorter?

Seagoon:
Gad... Gad, Chisolm's right! Now I see what happened. What cunning! [laughs] The criminal's cut a piece off each end, then cut across the middle pulled them apart, making the string look the original length.

Scot No.1:
Oh dear, this makes it a baffling case.

Scot No.2:
Aye.

Seagoon:
Ah yes. Instead of one piece we're looking for two separate ends... It's a good job I can count! [laughs] We must start investigations at once!

Dizzying!

3. Tape. What Milligan seems to have grasped – more than any of the BBC comedy writers of the time – was the extraordinary possibilities of recording. It just so happens this month’s Wire magazine runs a review of William Burroughs’ ‘Real English Tea Made Here’ CD. I quote:

“By treating the tape recorder as “an externalized section of the human nervous sytem”, Burroughs was definitely in sync with prevailing attitudes. From the 1950s through to the 1960s and beyond, there was a tendency to treat magnetic tape as an analogue for human consciousness as it existed in time …” (Ken Hollings, p54)

What David Caddy observes about Raworth’s freeing of the constraints of a coherent self find their sonic equivalent in the voice (supposedly the index of presence) made ribbon speeded up, reversed, fast-forwarded, rewound, cut and spliced – the basic material of The Goon Shows. Sound/time becomes plastic, malleable, sculptural. I‘m thinking of Raworth’s early volume `The Relation Ship’ where the space of the page becomes a means to examine time and experience. I’m also thinking of 60s rock experimentation: George Martin with the Beatles and – more radically - Zappa with the Mothers of Invention on albums such as ‘Freak Out’ and ‘Lumpy Gravy’. In addition to the radio, which records was Raworth listening to I wonder? ("pause/ between the dropping/ of the record & the music" - 'The Others', The Relation Ship).

4. ‘Logbook’. So many of the poems in Raworth’s ‘Big Green Day’ seem to incorporate what David Caddy locates in terms of “Imperial illusions” – ‘North Africa Breakdown’ and ‘Who Is Hannibal’s Descendant Leading His Elephants Against The Tanks?’ to mention just two titles. However, the work which prompted me to first think of Goon Show echoes is ‘Logbook’ (1970). Listen to this:

“At night in the forest we slept, listening to the creak of our future oars. “Let us”, said one of the natives whose language we could speak, but imperfectly, “build from these trees a thing we call a ‘ship’ – from the wood remaining I will show you how to make ‘paper’ – on this ‘paper’ (once we set sail) I shall show you how to ‘write’ (with a charred twig from the same tree) – and if your grandmother is with you, here’s how we suck eggs.” From the shore we watched the ‘ship’ approach us. We set sail in a small craft to meet the strangers, pausing only to write pages 106, 291, 298, 301, 345, 356, 399, 444 & 453 of the logbook, charring … “

as if read by Neddy Seagoon, imagining next the discovery of Grytpype Thynne and Moriarity as stowaways with Bluebottle approaching in a paper ship made out of an old copy of the Daily Mail.

5. “We never analysed it. I suppose it was an oral cartoon.I read once there were shades of Kafka, Ionesco and Dylan Thomas in it. Really it was just three blokes having a laugh, coupled with Spike’s inventive genius.” (Harry Secombe interviewed 1972).

“Basically I make things I like to look at, and I write things I like to read. There’s not much room outside that.” (Raworth interviewed by Ben Watson 2001).

Having made such identifications I immediately want to correct any impression of having ‘explained away’ Raworth’s poetry. One of the great charms of his work – for me, at least – is the way the poems remain defiantly on the page resisting translation into another discourse.

“too far. look back. you’ve missed the point”

(‘Love Poem’, from The Big Green Day - and the inability of my Blog formatting to cope with the original spacing of this line proves the point)

6. Um ... so much for "brevity".

3 comments:

walrus said...

Dear Carpenter,

An interesting post on Milligan/Raworth, but it ignores the obvious comparison with Milligan’s light verse/doggerel, which was inexplicably popular in the 1970s in books like The Bedside Milligan, etc. The obvious comparison with Milligan is not so much Raworth but a poet like Stevie Smith (including the faux naïf line drawings), although she is a much more interesting, darker and more intelligent poet.

Of Milligan’s books, the one that really made me laugh out loud in my early teens was William McGonagall: The Truth at Last – a better read than the self-consciously literary Puckoon or any of the war memoirs. I too loved the Goons as a teenager – but much less so now. I wonder how much it was a genuine love and how much it was foisted upon me by my parents as something worth attending to (like Hancock’s Half Hour or the Lord of the Rings). Also, I suppose in any analysis of Milligan one has to account for the fact that the Q Series has never been released on DVD by the BBC because of the unabashed racism of skits like “Pakistani Daleks” (Sellers – in The Millionairess – and Milligan – in the shitcom Curry & Chips as “Paki Paddy” – both donned facepaint to play Asians, but this casual racism, I think, was generational rather than peculiar to them). Milligan’s later books on the Bible, etc. will not bear the test of time, I feel. Any more than his verse will bear comparison with Raworth’s.

As for Raworth, I’m not entirely convinced. Am I just a sucker for a certain kind of seriousness in poetry? For me he doesn’t measure up to Olson or Duncan (or even Creeley, a lesser force than either). And Ed Dorn is far more interesting, as well as being both funnier and more politically engaged and astute. I’m glad Raworth exists. He’s a glimmer of light in the darkness of the UK poetry scene, but IMHO he doesn’t shine all that brightly.

What a grumpy Walrus I am today.

Ying tong iddle I po,
Walrus

belgianwaffle said...

Good points - actually I don't like Milligan's poetry/other writing and that's why it doesn't spring to mind.

As for the Raworth angle I think it's trying to account for the way(s) his poetry refuses to lie down and roll over to the usual critical procedures. And how fresh he sounds set against the Cambridge Prynne-ites. (Maybe I'd argue for an implicit politics?)

I really REALLY love my copies of The Relation Ship and The Big Green Day (once-in-a-lifetime-finds in a secondhand bookshop in Brussels). It's the poems, the images, the typefaces, the defiant small press attitude. And, yes, a rosy-tinted yearning for the 60s when such books seemed possible. 'Collected' Raworth seems to destroy something vital about the work (same goes for Iain Sinclair's early volumes).

Funnily enough (pardon the pun) I think what I like in Duncan is a dancing light-heartedness (cross-eyed bear puns etc) whereas I find Olson heavy going (I like the critical writing, though). Dorn remains on the shelf.

Scratch me and you'll find a flippant New York poet groupie: O'Hara, Schuyler, Berrigan, Bernstein, diPalma, Lisa Jarnot, Miles Champion (as UK export). And Babs Guest in her less starchy French poet moments. You asked about Ashbery some posts ago - yes, he's on my list.

Anyway, nothing wrong in being grumpy. It's my default setting.

Cheers

Chippy Today

walrus said...

Dear Carpenter,

I think you'd like Ed Dorn. Sections of his best work, GUNSLINGER (1967-75), read like R. Crumb meets Castaneda, with a dash of Captain Beefheart. It's an easy read, full of puns and pop philosophy. It has been described as an "anti post-industrial-capitalist mock-epic". If you're after 1960s counter-cultural nostalgia (& who isn't?) it's really worth a try.

Yours,

Walrus

PS I agree with you about Duncan's "dancing light-heartedness", though you can't mean the bleak but brilliant last poems as he struggled with terminal illness. "In Blood's Domaine" just blows me away every time ("The Angel Cancer crawls across the signs of the Zodiac"). There's also that unanswerable line: "What Angel, what Gift of the Poem, has brought into my body / this sickness of living?"

In fact, cancer poems might be a whole new genre (I feel an anthology coming on). Could include Paul Blackburn's last poems too ("Cities & towns I have to give up this year / on account of my cancer", "17.IV.71") . . .

April Fool?