Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Second Letter

Dear Walrus

I’m getting used to this new keyboard which seems also to dictate a new rhythm and style of thinking.

The days are still too disrupted to give any considered thought to your e-mail but here are a few thoughts in lieu …

1. Where I’m coming from … to be honest the January silence was a period of reconsideration: what was this Blog for? Why blog? Who was – might – be reading it ‘out there’. It coincided with – on the one hand – listening to Bernadette Mayer describing how she made a choice given her domestic life: to read or write? I turned this question on myself: to write (ie creative work or the daily blogging/critical work?). Quite simply I don’t have time for both. A sentence which leapt out at me in the Duncan piece was:

“Yes, I was running away from work, from the only real work to do.”

You speak of a thesis – implying a joint project – and I’m wondering what I’m doing veering back into critical discourse.

On the other hand, a nagging sense of footling around. I read Ron Silliman, other bloggers who seem to be launching 3,000 word entries a day. How could I presume to issue thoughts on any subject given my dispersed reading habits, erratic jumps of idea, periods of inactivity due to the day-to-day demands of teaching & other stuff? Would it be better to just shut up shop and confine my ideas to Moleskine notebooks?

2. “Writing poetry criticism during the late sixties was to associate oneself with an academic world, and a tone of voice, which was considered inimical to the life of poetry itself. It was more important to look out of the window, to feel the light coming in, or the way the whole world seemed to collapse around you and rearrange itself as you stepped off the curb, than to think about poetry in a way that might improve other people’s lives. There was the poetry of being alive and there was the poetry on the page. The word “poet” was often used generically to describe the way you lived your life, whether you wrote anything or not.”
Lewis Warsh, ‘Introduction’, The Angel Hair Anthology.

I like this.
I like the phrase “the way the whole world seemed to collapse around you and rearrange itself as you stepped off the curb” – its fusion of urban walking and limit-breaking.
I like “there was the poetry of being alive and there was the poetry on the page”. Surely this relates to what you’re trying to locate in terms of the US/UK divide? That poetry is not simply what ends up between the covers. Rather, it implies an entire politics of living. Thus, the community around Duncan and Spicer; the New York generations of poets; what – I assume – has been generated within Cambridge, or the London-Brighton-Wales nexus of the 60s? Those poets who lived what they wrote as against those who separated the life from the writing?

What pact did Raworth make? “intelligence/ shall not replace intuition”.

3. Standing by your words.

Why I began the Blog was an attempt to break out of a timidity brought on by years of academic/ teaching-related preciosity. Having conducted a correspondence with Lisa Jarnot I realized that ‘Poetry’ – in the broader sense – was a matter of ‘going public’. Again: risk, vulnerability, putting it ‘out there’. You’ll have seen my rather gauche playing around with who-is-Belgianwaffle-really in early posts which also owes something to my compromised position as a teacher in a school. There are things one can/cannot say. In turn, I pose the question why you – U.P., Walrus, whatever nom de plume you wish to assume – “prefer not” and elect for Bartlebian anonymity. That way leads to the Dead Letter Office – unless you can convince me otherwise?

(The Harry Lime theme plays, the cat crawls over the shiny shoes, a light falls upon the face, an eyebrow raised … )

I’m asking myself is this a tease or a professional hedge?

In other words - where are you coming from?

Yours sincerely

The Carpenter

4 comments:

walrus said...

Processing . . .

letterwing kite said...

testing robert duncan

letterwing kite said...

Sonnets for Robert Duncan


1

Life today is a flowering bush of blue,
the windy harbour’s alive with light,
red sun turns city glass to sheets of silk.
It’s afternoon, the reflections caught

by translucent bays marble edges of the view –
bitter news is distilled by polite talk,
death has arrived again, hearing of it
shears from memory images of Francis Webb,

another poet who sang words into thought,
made phrases abstract for a figurative God.
Now Duncan’s death succeeds more

than most, his life opened days, brought
song to nights where silence riddled prayer.
It isn’t enough to weave more silk


2

the rhetoric’s a holy gibberish, and cocoons
have fallen to their hungry worms
before they’re even spun: I have only
a dumb reaper and Duncan’s hand-woven psalms,

only the poetry. Only his words
and for all his talk of angels, they become
also creatures of the language we spoke in.
I imagine his consternation with ‘only’

Only the poem! I hear the strict tone
in reprimand, music of anger composing itself,
though now impossibly. Here I point

to his death, still even surrounded by it –
pouring from heaven or rising from the stench,
only the poem, though be compelled begin another.










3


Make this death’s loom, take up the lyre
strung to play rhymes pulled taut across
slangy syntax, something of calm awareness
in song, a finality grows from loss –

What does the Worm work in its cocoon?
Do I finally understand this arcane question?
revealing the silken vanity of talk
with death – though why reprimand a tone

of voice when it’s the content
breaking the news – as now the red sun
is being eaten on a glass building-side

by a flashing neon sign spelling out
black homilies and jingles for the State:
have safe sex and spoil the Reaper’s fun.



4

Now shred all irony to ribbons and trail
them from a ferry leaving Kirribilli wharf
in memory of Frank Webb – he sailed
there with his grandfather and walked

by the coal freighters where he’d meditate –
he called himself a pirate of peace
as he traced with his fingers a carved shark
that sanctified the rock. It is a place

poets have sung for centuries, so I take
a bearing here for Duncan, amidst languages
that shape this bay into a face –

though whose? Whoever’s god now assuages
the harbourside with songs we can belong to,
life-torn words for death’s menagerie.




Robert Adamson

belgianwaffle said...

Dear Walrus

I am more confused than ever.

At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth, could I suggest you contact me at:

belgianwaffle@hotmail.com

(note: not the address listed with the Blog)

and we take it from there?

Cheers

The Carpenter

April Fool?