Monday, May 18, 2009

Just been scribbling for an hour or so about Keith Waldrop's Transcendental Studies - a distilled form of which will transfer to the Blog in a day or two.

While it's less immediately appealing than - say - the Jacob Delafon* volume or the early 'conversational' poems, it pulls together so many disparate ideas that I've been having about collage principles and issues of 'meaning' as against 'sense'.

For now, a phrase I hit upon in one of the poems in section 'One' of Shipwreck in Haven:

disquieting thought

What a brilliant description of poetry itself! The more I look at this phrase the more it seems to suggest.

More to follow ...

___

* I see KW's photo on the back of Transcendental Studies is credited to Delafon. That's a good one.


2 comments:

walrus said...

I've just received KW's version of Le Spleen de Paris -- great translation...

W.

belgianwaffle said...

Good.

I am so pleased I've discovered KW - everything he touches seems to turn to gold.

& he's such a role model for a dabbler in words & images such as myself.

The C.

April Fool?