Sunday, May 24, 2009

Little Cat Diary IV

Sad news. This morning Potiron was flopping sideways - one look at him told you that life was ebbing away. Even to stand up was too much of an effort. Little by little he'd sink down exhausted. I'll spare you the list of things that we discovered were wrong. 

So, it's 3.35pm and the vet has done what vets do when there's nothing else to do.

We're all very sad. 

At the back of my mind are the questions i) how could anyone pass on a kitten to two little girls in this state? ii) how could the previous vet not have identified just how sick he was? iii) how could we have been stupid enough not to put two and two together earlier?

But what's the point in recriminations? We tried our best to make him happy. 




5 comments:

walrus said...

O Carpenter, this is a dismal introduction to the world of pets. Poor little thing.

Still, it isn't unusual. My three nieces have seen numerous kittens come and go, usually under the wheels of cars or they simply disappear for ever . . . It's all very upsetting at the time -- not least for the parents.

You have my sympathy.

W.

belgianwaffle said...

Indeed.

I regret not having followed my instincts a month ago ( = avoid strays & their issue). One lives & learns.

I suppose the rejection by the mother really knocked him back - who knows how long he went without food? (& on top of this he had infections in his mouth which meant eating hurt - that compounded the weight problem).

On the plus side, our newly-discovered vet is a super lady who's promised to look out for a healthy & happy kitten. (Cold comfort right now for the girls - but I think they'll be OK.).

I was up at 5 a.m. this morning administering TLC & a syringe of powdered milk. So even Mr. I'm-Not-Into-Cats has found something out.

A gruelling weekend.

Cheers

The C.

Lydia said...

What a sad story. We are also looking for a Belgian kitten, perhaps a Chartreux?

I hope that your girls are coping okay, and you have better luck in the future.

belgianwaffle said...

Hi Lydia

Thanks!

Seems there are two kittens needing good homes & our vet will pass on details very soon.

I'm not fussy about breeds - in fact, I've been warned not to go for highly-strung pedigrees.

Just a happy healthy kitten will do.

Cheers

Jonathan

Matthew Zadow said...

Hi Jonathan,
Sorry to hear about Potiron... It's an experience every pet owner will have to go through at some point in their lives. I know that's no consolation, but I'm glad you found a vet and she is searching for the right cat for your family.
Sympathies,
M.

April Fool?