Friday, May 01, 2009



Watched this last night and it has to be one of the more miserable two hours or so I've spent recently.

I never got into Joy Division and so can't comment on the accuracy. In any case, does this matter? I've never seen film of Ian Curtis' live performances - did he have that strange boxing-windmill style arm movement on stage? Dunno.

I've taken out the remastered CDs of the three albums and have just started to listen. The idea of watching the film was to find some kind of way in - or back in - to the music. Everyone knows 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and maybe that's a bit of an obstacle to what else was going on in the music.

As for the film ... I was reminded of The Beatles' 'Hard Day's Night' without the laughs. Or Reisz's 'Saturday Night Sunday Morning' with Sam Riley as a skinny Albert Finney. Much of the film seems to boil down to Cyril Connolly's dictum of the pram in the hallway as inimical to creative life. There's also a pretty clear connection made between Curtis' epilepsy and creativity (and eventual suicide). As so often, I wonder if it really is so straightforward. Ultimately, though, the film works (or doesn't) depending on how much the Ian Curtis persona fascinates you. For me, it doesn't. As portrayed in the film he seems mostly helpless and vacant - there's little to suggest the more interesting thoughts and conflicts which must have been going on to fuel the lyrics. There's a flatness to it all - ironically what I used to feel about the music. Listening to one or two tracks now I hear much greater richness in the music and possibilities in Curtis' voice.

Maybe it's another one of those cases where it's best to listen to the actual music and ignore the film.

__


 

ontic fax

speaking destiny’s grope

 

tore me

 

as

    under the phenomenal Father

 

fuck you -

I’m putting the world up for adoption

 



__

another 'derived' poem - only late last night I saw how it might have some kind of shadowy affinity with 'Control'.

5 comments:

walrus said...

I found the film totally uninvolving, I quite agree. Very disappointing.

I have Closer and a compilation album, Permanent, in my collection, but I can't say I play them much. I like the sound, but in essence they are full of sad passions -- Nietzsche would consider them to be pure poison, I'm sure, but we can't always listen to Bizet . . .

belgianwaffle said...

Hmmm ... I think that's what has - so far - kept me away ... A cold and clammy feeling ... When I think of the exuberance of Life Without Buildings or Rip Rig & Panic I wonder if Joy Division are not some sickly decadent in-growing toe nail of Punk ... &, as you say, anti-Dionysian & anti-life.

I'll admit to being terribly disappointed by 'Control'. Even cinematically I couldn't get excited (& I love b&w film) - which is at odds with all the rave reviews.

If Curtis was some kind of Rimbaud/Syd Barrett then where the hell was he in the film?

The one good joke is - post epi fit - the manager consoles Curtis by saying "at least you aren't the lead singer for The Fall." However, Mark E. Smith seems driven in enabling ways - the liner notes alone for the albums suggest someone churning in The Vortex. Curtis, sadly, seemed never to get out of the back bedroom? (Claims by Paul Morley etc. to the contrary?).

Maybe I just don't know Joy Division's stuff well enough. I'll persevere ...

Like The Smiths & Morrisey I keep thinking I'm missing something if only ...

The C.

walrus said...

Trust your instincts, I say. Life's too short . . .

W

PS Are you still making collages of found material?

walrus said...

PPS Here's sound advice from MILES:

"Later he [Gil Evans] would call me up at three a.m. and tell me, 'If you're ever depressed, Miles, just listen to "Springville"' (which was a great tune we put on the Miles Ahead album)."

W.

belgianwaffle said...

... oddly enough, this afternoon I've just finished sorting through the Jan/Feb collages - selecting ones to put into frames for an open school exhibition.

Energy at the moment is going into writing. (Also the posters round the university are either too well stuck or uninspiring. No doubt the urge will return).

Something I want to do is write off the film noir-type series. Yet another project!

The C.

April Fool?