Monday, January 31, 2011

Jamie: I really truly madly deeply passionately remarkably deliciously juicily love you.

Nina: (pouncing) Deeply! Deeply! You passed on deeply! Which was your word, which means that you couldn't have meant it. You're a fraud. You're probably a figment of my imagination ...

(Minghella, Truly Madly Deeply)

... and earlier ...

Algernon* (very rapidly): Cecily, ever since I first looked upon your wonderful and incomparable beauty, I have dared to love you wildly, passionately, devotedly, hopelessly.

Cecily: I don't think you should tell me that you love me wildly, passionately, devotedly, hopelessly. Hopelessly doesn't seem to make much sense, does it?

(Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest)

__

* at this point in the play pretending to be the fictional Ernest

No comments:

April Fool?