Sunday, January 30, 2011

This afternoon watch Blockheads (Laurel & Hardy) with E.. She laughs like the proverbial drain. Thank God for funny bone genes.

*

Not snow exactly this morning but the same general effect.

*

Dinner: roast lamb with Grenaille potatoes in olive oil, garlic, rosemary and sea salt.

*

Watch the first 15 minutes of Minghella's The Talented Mr. Ripley. Thinking of ways of relating it to his earlier Truly, Madly, Deeply. Maybe a fruitless exercise.

*

Yesterday, wreck my right back tyre reversing into a kerb. Today, reaching for a book, I wrench the foot off the armchair in the dining room. As A. says to K.: "your husband's having a problem with the ground".

*

The Jam and Sound Affects. An album I never knowingly listened to 'at the time'. Now I hear it with fresh ears. Weller's lament for a 'lost' England seems ever more pertinent. That's entertainment ...

*

47 looms on Friday. Sounds so grown up. & yet -

*

"Big pieces of the world break off" (Philip Whalen)

1 comment:

Geofhuth said...

There was a time when I really loved "Truly, Madly, Deeply," but haven't seen it in years. Found "The Talented Mr Ripley," however, boring.

Strange, this sentence, how it brings in two noticeable spelling differences between AmE and BrE, making the situation all the more a crash to my ear and eye: "Yesterday, wreck my right back tyre reversing into a kerb." (Not complaining about spelling differences, by the way, since I enjoy them.

Good luck on your 47th. In 115 days, I turn 51, so you're just a babe.

Geof

April Fool?