Saturday, March 01, 2014

Over in the UK for the moment ...

Stopping off on the way to the M25, I had my usual showdown at Maidstone services. Placing a copy of the Independent & a KitKat I said crisply & firmly "just these two, please". The saleswoman who's always there scans the items & then asks - gesturing to a pile of Cadbury chocolates - "would you like any of these?" I just look at her & she hands me my change.

Which of these scenarios is the more depressing: a) that she hears me & is so programmed to deliver the set phrase she says it regardless? b) that she is so numbed by the day-in day-out mindlessness of the job that she doesn't listen to customers (maybe a defence mechanism) & in auto-pilot mode simply says the same thing to everyone (fearing, perhaps, the consequences from Above if she went against training)?

.

At least the cats miss me. Yesterday morning, I'm told, they delivered several puddles in the hallway & kitchen as well as a little pile before the front door. That affection should be shown with such finesse ...

(Rob - if you're reading this, do not tell Gail ...)

.

Off to Camberley to rifle through the Charity shops for cheap Percy Jackson novels for the Brussels Sprouts. Why pay £5.99 when you can snap them up for 50p?

.

No comments:

April Fool?