Thursday, August 21, 2008

For completion's sake ...

Monday night's episode of 'New Tricks'* was fascinating in terms of DI Pullman's bright red jacket. A decision by the costume department or deliberately built into the script? The case needing to be cleared up concerned a man's body that had been covered with red paint, mutilated and wrapped in film. Red started to pervade the narrative - a form, I suppose, of Deleuzian intensity? And, it just so happens, that Sandra Pullman is played by ... Amanda Redman (a name with its own rather strange symmetries and dislocative possibilities).

Just thought I'd mention it. That's all.

___

* http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d4vh2 - if you're in the UK you can still watch it (I can't!)

2 comments:

walrus said...

I suspect the director dreams of working on greater things -- such as . . . The Wire, which I am watching on DVD every evening now, losing precious writing time, but it's worth it. Believe the hype. It really is the best television ever made -- & I speak as someone who avoids all those police procedurals like CSI Whatever. I'm on to season 2 now, which has a very different feel, but I'm totally gripped again. Season 3 is on order from Amazon, which somehow is selling these £40+ box sets for £14 each. Those in the know (like Philip Hensher, see
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/
commentators/philip-hensher/philip-hensher-what-scandal-lurks-behind-the-wire-896983.html) are watching it on DVD. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but JOIN US...

Walrus

belgianwaffle said...

OK! Wilco.

(re. Philip Hensher - believe it or not I used to know him quite well. That is, in the days before he grew a beard, made a big scandal in the Civil Service, started writing novels and landed a plum job with The Independent. ((No ... I'm not envious ...)). I remember him lugging a bloody great double bass around Norham Gardens and raving about Wagner. Ah! Halcyon days ...

April Fool?