Tuesday, August 26, 2008



Just watched this - and enjoyed it. Plenty of mirrors and self-conscious reframings so it's impossible to accuse 'Jacky' (how odd that sounds to English ears) of narcissism without entering into a whole labyrinth of traps and tropes and ironies. The old trickster!

What stands out for me? First, the scene in his personal library where the interviewer suggests he's read every volume. No, replies JD, only thirty four (volumes or per cent I couldn't quite make it out) - and he insists he's not exaggerating. A point well made: there's reading and then there's reading.

Second, the anecdote about differance appearing for the first time in the French dictionary and his mother's appalled response. To think, after all that education, he couldn't spell properly!

Finally, as I prepare myself for the school year ahead, Derrida's thoughts on biography and philosophy. How someone simply reading a page of philosophy - critically, reflectively - will know far more, will be truer to the thought of the philosopher than the person who has read the biographies, the overviews, the History of Western Thought. A salutary lesson - and one I'll be trying to instill (and live by) through to next June.

1 comment:

walrus said...

I've never seen it. Really must try to track it down one day. I'm impressed by your multimedia philosophical roamings...

W

April Fool?