One of the best Christmas presents (for me at least) is a cookery book. You can spend the closing days of the old year planning meals for the coming one. Thus ...
... from Hugh F-W's recent volume based around three ingredients (although from the off he cheats a bit - but who cares?) this very easy & toothsome lunchtime dish.
We adapted it a little but the basic premise is the same. So:
- prepare your lentils (we simmered them with some pureed garlic & a bay leaf)
- fry some diced chorizo (this is our twist)
- prepare the dressing - a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, mustard & sugar according to taste
- drizzle some of the dressing on the lentils as they cool
- wash & slice the cabbage leaves, plunge into boiling water (1 minute) & then refresh
- chop half an avocado
Then, putting it all together ...
Take a bowl, mix together the lentils, avocado, cabbage & chorizo. Add the dressing.
That's it - & it is really tasty.
It just so happened we had some cold salmon left over in the fridge (à la Murakami) & I had had a second serving using it up. Perhaps even better. For next time: why not add in some tangy goat's cheese?
Give it a try Gastronauts - as Floyd would say (Keith not Pink).
& now for some ear food. Here's a CD I happened upon in the Mediatheque on the last day of 2014. What a great way to tune into 2015 ...
Exactly the kind of album ECM does best. The interplay of guitar & piano against the sax with bass underpinnings ... faultless. Reminds me of Jarrett's My Song - praise indeed.